Are you tired of spending hours on the treadmill with little results? Well, here’s some good news! A study from 2012 has discovered a workout routine that can help you say goodbye to stubborn belly fat. The best part? You don’t have to be stuck indoors on a treadmill. Let’s dive into the details:
The Workout To begin, you’ll need a stationary bicycle or any cardio equipment of your choice. Here’s how the workout works:
Give it your all with an 8-second maximum effort sprint.
Take a 12-second recovery period by pedaling lightly.
Repeat this cycle for a total of 20 minutes.
Aim to do this workout two to three days a week for 12 weeks.
It may sound simple, but trust me, it’s highly effective! Ideally, a stationary bike would be great for this routine. However, if you only have access to the outdoors, sprinting will do the trick!
The Study Findings The researchers published their discoveries in the Journal of Obesity. They conducted the study with overweight men in their 20s, and here’s what they found:
- Participants lost approximately 4 pounds of fat, primarily from their bellies.
- Belly fat, specifically the deep-seated visceral fat, reduced by 17%.
- Waist sizes became smaller, and noticeable changes were observed as early as 6 weeks into the study.
- Additionally, participants experienced stronger and bigger leg muscles.
The best part is that these results can also be achieved by women and men of different ages. So, regardless of who you are, this workout can work wonders for you too!
Why Did They Lose Belly Fat? You might be curious about why this workout is so effective in targeting belly fat. Well, the researchers have a few theories:
- The intense exercise may have increased certain chemicals called catecholamines in the body. These chemicals aid in breaking down fat, especially the deep-seated abdominal fat.
- The workout also appears to enhance the body’s fat-burning ability even after the exercise is completed.
How to Make the Most of This Information If your goal is to lose weight and shed fat, this workout can save you valuable time. Just keep these key points in mind:
Aim for high-intensity workouts, like the one described, lasting for 20 minutes.
Push yourself during the 8-second sprints, and then recover by pedaling lightly for 12 seconds.
Try to maintain a heart rate between 80-90% of your maximum.
Remember to warm up for 5 minutes before starting and cool down afterward.